Sunday, July 29, 2007

Baby shower cake, take 2


Now that little Zachary Irish has been welcomed into the world, it's time to get serious on this cake so that his upcoming baby shower is glorious as he gets all kinds of great swag. My first practice cake was something ugly. It leaned. The top was bumpy. I used a cake mix. It was all kinds of horrible. This time around I did my research, purchased a copy of the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum and baked away. I'm happy with what's currently sitting in my kitchen. The layers were solid with no air bubbles to speak of and baked up even. No big dome in the center, woo hoo! Because I had some leftover fondant I was able to decorate this, but I wasn't really going on looks here. If I can't achieve a good cake, it doesn't matter how well I can cover it with some fondant! So, I feel like I'm ready to make some cake for the shower in August, and make little Zachary proud!



No comments: