Friday, July 6, 2007

Baby Shower cake....take 1

So, I'll be making a cake for a baby shower at the end of August. I started practicing this week and when finished decided I had made the world's ugliest cake. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. But I've figured out what I need to learn and how I can go from my sad ugly tilted cake to something like this beautiful cake I found on Pink Cake Boxes. Making the fondant is surprisingly easy, the hard part I've found is just getting the cakes to bake up big, nice, and somewhat even on top. I'll be making a lot of cake this month in "practice." Fortunately my neighbor has a great fondness for cakes and will welcome anything I bring down, so at least they won't go to waste!

So, I started with making the fondant, with a pretty simple recipe I found that involves melting down a bag of marshmallows and mixing that goo with a bag of powdered sugar, sticky!












Once done, it's surprisingly easy to work with, add food coloring to (this can be a little tricky) and roll out...












So, while I think I've mastered the art of fondant creation and application, you can't really do much if the cake is crooked, lumpy, too small, etc etc. I definitely have some work in front of me. Sigh. It was so beautiful in my head!


No comments: