Thursday, October 16, 2008

Can't get enough of the stuff...

We're peanut butter people in our house (creamy, not chunky please, and to be more specific, Whole Foods 365 Creamy Organic Peanutbutter). I can't recall ever fiending for peanut butter sandwiches as a kid, but they're definitely a staple in my life now. Every morning at work I mentally count down until I can allow myself to bust out the sandwich...I usually don't make it past 10am before the sandwich is gone. Yes, I've realized that I have no self control. I even cut it into 3 even pieces in a sad attempt to make the highlight of my lunch for as long as possible.

Since we've also been on an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie kick this year as well, and we'd already tried every other combination with peanutbutter (adding it to the batter, gluttonously smearing it on top of oatmeal chocolate chips fresh outta the oven), we decided to do a little reversal. Oatmeal peanutbutter cookies drizzled with chocolate? Niiice. Compared to their chewier counterparts with the chocolate chips, these were a little bit on the crispier side. Delicious and giving the perfect chocolate-peanutbutter combination, I wish I could exchange a handful of these for my peanutbutter on whole wheat any day of the week.

Peanut-Boatmeal Chocolate Drizzle Cookies
Recipe by Lazy Susin

1 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 C quick cooking oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in the egg, followed by the the vanilla extract and the peanut butter.
Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Use hands to portion out and shape the cookies (somewhere between 1/4 - 1/8 of a cup). Flatten the cookies slightly.
Bake for about 10-12 min. Cookies will be light brown at the edges when done.
Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes and drizzle with the melted chocolate, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies, depending on the size.


Check out my review of Jiff peanut butter on Sazze.com!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these sound delicious! and the picture is lovely. anything with oatmeal, peanut butter, and chocolate can't be anything short of perfect :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I will try a few!