Monday, November 10, 2008

Black & White...and Sweet All Over


A little market in our old neighborhood always had black and white cookies...all individually packaged and just waiting for us to buy one. When we felt super indulgent we'd pick one up and then race home to gobble it down, passing it back and forth until the last black and white bite was gone.

Since we've moved, we don't have an outlet for these cakey cookies. I mean, Starbucks sells the little packs of mini black and whites, but I'd rather have 'em fresh. These have been on my list for ages to make but I've always avoided attempting it because I thought it would be a big, sticky mess.

My oh my, how wrong I was! These were sooo easy to decorate. The frosting sets up enough that it's pretty easy to keep a clean center line, and using a pastry brush makes it a super simple process. My only regret is that I made a smaller batch of frosting than I should have, so I didn't "paint" these quite as thick as I would have liked to. Didn't want to end up with any naked cookies!

I had randomly searched around for a recipe online, and ended up using a cookie recipe from one site, and a frosting recipe from another. The cookies weren't quite as "cakey" as I would have liked, so I'll probably try another recipe the next time around. I also did these as minis, and used a spoon to portion out the dough. Well, more like batter. It's really quite runny, so I reccomended using a large pastry bag and piping out your cookies. Not only will this make the process go much smoother, but you'll probably end up with more uniform circles.

Black & White Cookies
Cookie Ingredients
1 C unsalted butter
1 3/4 C white sugar
4 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 1/2 C cake flour
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line two baking sheets.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Combine cake flour and all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually blend into the creamed mixture. Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets or use pastry bag to pipe the dough.
Bake until edges begin to brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool completely.


Icing Ingredients
1 1/2 C confectioners sugar
1 T light corn syrup
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 to 2 T water
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder


Make icings while cookies chill:
Stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer half of icing to another bowl and stir in cocoa, adding more water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to thin to same consistency as white icing.
Ice cookies:
Turn cookies flat sides up, then spread white icing over half of each and chocolate over other half using a pastry brush.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Great looking cookies! My husband loves these. His family called them half moon cookies. I'd never even heard of them before I met him. It's funny to me how cookies are such a "regional thing".

Maria said...

I love the b and w cookies! They are so fun but they do take some time. Yours turned out great!

Anonymous said...

awww. those cookies are so pretty!! simply gorgeous. x