Monday, January 19, 2009

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels


Hello baking blog, I've missed you.

It seems like time in the new year has been passing me by and I haven't had time to set foot in the kitchen to get any baking done. Fortunately I have a back log of baking goodness from December, I just...well...have to blog everything!

During the holidays I was watching the Food Network special on holiday cookies, where all of my favorite (and not so favorite) Food Network personalities shared their favorite holiday cookies. Alton Brown (along with Santa!) made these chocolate and peppermint pinwheel cookies, and the process was so simple. Sugar cookie dough. Crushed up candy canes. Peppermint extract. Chocolate. Easy peasy!

Oh Alton Brown, I'm a little disappointed in you (but I still love you!!). Why did you tell me to only refrigerate the dough for 5 minutes before I rolled it?! A sticky, sticky mess. But once I soldiered through it and got everything rolled, the process was a cinch and the cookies were fabulous. I'm definitely putting these on the list for next year - in theory, a cookie easy to make and quick to impress.

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels
Recipe from Food Network

1 batch Sugar Cookies, recipe follows
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies

Divide the dough in half and add chocolate and vanilla to 1 half and incorporate with hands. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy to other half of dough and incorporate with hands.
Cover both with plastic and chill for approximately 5 minutes (note: I would refrigerate longer until dough is firm). Roll out doughs separately to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Place peppermint dough on top of chocolate and press together around the edges.
Using waxed paper or flexible cutting board underneath, roll dough into log. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time.
Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Sugar Cookie Recipe:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar 1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i adore pinwheels! love eating them as much as i love just staring at them. it's been a while since i visited! :) hope u are well.
our landlord took away our Sky TV so we have no foodnetwork channel or uktvfood. it is absolutely horrid!

Anonymous said...

These look soo delicious and peppermint in anything is a winner in my book. Great blog! I always love finding a new one I like!

Arika
My Yummy Life

Anonymous said...

These look soo delicious and peppermint in anything is a winner in my book. Great blog! I always love finding a new one I like!

Arika
My Yummy Life